- Note: At the time of writing, Instapaper is operated by an individual as Instapaper, LLC. For simplicity now and in the future, the plural pronouns “we”, “our”, and “us” are used in this document.
Our Commitment To Privacy
Your privacy is important to us. To better protect your privacy we provide this notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used.
The Information We Collect
This notice applies to all information collected or submitted on the Instapaper website and the Instapaper applications and services for iPhone, iPad, Kindle, and other devices and platforms, hereafter referred to as simply Instapaper.
Instapaper occasionally needs to collect information for convenience, practicality, or technical requirements. This information includes:
- Your chosen username, which may be your email address or name. A username is technically required so you can log in from multiple computers and devices. We encourage you to use your email address to make “forgot password” functionality possible.
- Your chosen password, which is empty by default. A hash of your password is stored in the Instapaper database, and the plain-text password is only used for hash comparison to the stored value.
- The titles, URLs (addresses), and selected text of the pages you save to Instapaper with the Read Later bookmarklet, folder-specific bookmarklets, Instapaper applications, third-party applications using the Instapaper API, and any other means with which to add pages to Instapaper.
- The HTML contents of the pages you save to Instapaper when recognized as a known login-requiring site. This is technically required to generate the Text view and other indexing features for sites that require logins or accounts, such as some major newspaper publishers. When HTML is saved for a page, it is only used within your account and is not revealed via social or sharing features.
- Your Amazon Kindle email address, if you have enabled automatic delivery to your Kindle. This is technically required to send your content to your Kindle.
Like most Web sites, Instapaper also collects and stores information automatically and through the use of electronic tools that may be transparent to our visitors. For example, we may log the name of your Internet Service Provider, your IP address, and information provided by and about your Internet browser. As we adopt additional technology, we may also gather similar information through other means.
The Way We Use Information
We use the information you provide to operate Instapaper’s features. We do not share this information with outside parties except to the extent necessary to accomplish Instapaper’s functionality.
We use return email addresses to answer the email we receive. Such addresses are not used for any other purpose and are not shared with outside parties.
We use non-identifying and aggregate information to better design Instapaper, to suggest popular content to users, and to share with advertisers and publishers. For example:
- We may tell an advertiser or publisher that X number of people visited a certain area on our website
- We may tell an advertiser or publisher that X number of people bookmarked Z stories from a particular site or topic.
- We may aggregate the most popular stories during limited time periods or from certain websites in order to suggest stories for Instapaper’s Editor’s Picks or for users who have also saved pages from those websites.
When information is used in this or a similar manner, we do not disclose anything that could be used to identify the individuals on whom the information is based.
We may disclose your information in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims.
We may disclose your information when we believe it necessary or desirable in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of our policies, and/or to protect our rights and property.
In the future, we may sell, buy, merge, or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, user information may be among the transferred assets.
Publicly Accessible Information
Instapaper contains social and sharing functionality, including:
- Others can view your most recent Starred articles if they know your username.
- Others can view your Unread, Archive, Starred, or folder contents if you reveal or share their associated RSS-feed URLs.
Instapaper makes reasonable efforts to ensure that all integrated external services are trustworthy and reputable, but Instapaper cannot be held responsible for data collection and usage by such services.
Our Commitment To Data Security
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Please note: To ensure easy account creation, minimal customer errors, and reduced support inquiries, Instapaper accounts initially do not have passwords. If left without a password, anyone can access your account if they know or guess your username. To set or change your password, go to http://www.instapaper.com/user/password.
Our Commitment To Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our website is structured to attract anyone under 13.
How You Can Access Or Correct Your Information
You can access all your personally identifiable information that we collect online and maintain by logging into your Instapaper account on the Instapaper website at http://www.instapaper.com/.
You can correct factual errors in your personally identifiable information by changing or deleting the erroneous information, by deleting your entire Instapaper account at http://www.instapaper.com/user/delete, or by emailing email@example.com.
To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
You can delete your entire Instapaper account at any time at http://www.instapaper.com/user/delete. If you delete your account, all account information and saved page data is deleted from the Instapaper service immediately.
Due to the nature of backups and logs, deleted data may persist in backups and logs until they are deleted.
How To Contact Us
Should you have other questions or concerns about these privacy policies, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, we only have the ability to receive and send English-language communications.
Changes To This Policy
Instapaper reserves the right to change this policy at any time. Please check this page periodically for changes. Your continued use of Instapaper following the posting of changes to this policy will mean you accept those changes.